Loading

WHO: Yemen cholera cases hit 1 million

By | 2017-12-16T00:01:11+00:00 Saturday - 16 December 2017 - 12:01 am|Tags: |
Change Font Size E E E

 

One million people are now infected with cholera in Yemen, the World Health Organisation said on Wednesday.

The WHO also said that 2,225 people have died of the disease since 27 April, and that it now affects 21 of Yemen’s 22 provinces. Only the island of Socotra has avoided the outbreak so far.

The Houthi-controlled Red Sea port city of Hudaydah is the worst hit, with 143,000 registered cases, and the province of Hajjah had more cholera deaths that anywhere else, with 417.

Cholera can kill within hours, and disproportionately affects children under the age of five.

The cholera epidemic – which the UN has called the worst case in history – began when a Saudi-led coalition began a military campaign against the Houthi rebels in 2015. The Houthis had taken over much of the country the previous year, including the capital, Sana’a.

Around 10,000 people are thought to have been killed so far in the war, which has also displaced 11 per cent of the country’s residents.


Leave A Comment